Thursday, February 20, 2014

Crafty Organization Thursdays: Card Organization

Good morning fellow crafters, it's Thursday, and you know what that means? Yup, you guessed it. It's time for another Crafty Organization Thursdays post over here at life, scrapbook, repeat. My name is Toni From and I love to organize. Yes, you heard that correctly, I love to organize. Finding solutions for storage problems makes me thrilled beyond a normal level, and the sight of anything arranged in ROY G BIV order is the best thing ever! I started writing this column last year, and have had such a great response lately that I am going to attempt to write it on a semi-weekly basis. As I am writing this, almost 1,000 people have read my last organizational post! How humbling and just so awesome that so many of you enjoy reading about craft organization. If you missed my last column all about storing mists, you can find that HERE.

Today I thought we would take a look at how we organize cards since I was working on this project in my studio last week. I will show you what I did in my studio and then also go over some awesome examples I found on this subject via the web.

As you can see in the photo below, my studio is fairly organized, I am still organizing my island a little more, but the only real problem area was the paperwork and cards on the floor. I filed my paperwork and discarded what I did not need, and dove into my cards. I posted this photo on Instagram last week, I often post studio photos during the week, and if you want to follow along, my social media links are on the right side of the blog. :-)


I took all of my cards in various boxes that you see stacked on the floor above and organized them in this.




I have tried over the years to use various boxes to corral all of my greeting cards in one place. I wanted something with a lid and that was white. I ended up stumbling upon the  Bigso Greeting Card Organizer at the Container Store. I am impressed with just how many cards it holds. I also love that it includes many divided tabs that are just perfect for labeling card categories. This solution is working great for me and I got ever single card in this one box, and I even have a little room to add a few more cards as well! I do realize that many of you do not have a Container Store near you, so I searched the web, and found some other great card storage ideas.

Jen from the amazing blog I Heart Organizing has a great tutorial for making your own tabbed dividers and she even puts them in an adorable container too. I Heart Organizing Greeting Card Organizer.


I love the box she chose for her greeting cards, it is so adorable and happy. She picked this up at Paper Source, but I am sure you can also find similar boxes at your local Target, Dollar Store, Consignment shop, or maybe even in your own crafty space.


From the blog, AnyoneCanDecorate.blogspot.com I found this clever card organizer below.  I love that she uses chalk labels to pretty it up and that this storage solution is also portable. You can find this particular organizer at Amazon, but I have also seen similar lidded boxes at Michael's without the card dividers.


I am also really loving all of these storage solutions found on the web.




As you can see there are many different ways you can organize your greeting cards. I think the most important thing is to organize them in a way that makes sense to you and your budget. I often find storage solutions in items that my family is no longer using, or at local consignment stores. Neighbors have also given me storage items as well as family members. I am always on the lookout for inexpensive storage pieces. It is an obsession, but I love doing it.

Thank you so much for stopping by today, I hope you enjoyed reading all about card organization. I appreciate you being here and taking time out of your day to read my posts. Let's talk card organization today. Anyone else recently discover that they have about twice as many homemade cards than they realized? Yes, I am definitely guilty of that. Anyone else find that they need more of a particular category? What cards do you use the most often? Are your cards organized, or can you find them in your space? 

If you have any ideas about what topic I should cover next time for Crafty Organization Thursdays, I would really appreciate you commenting below. I get my ideas from either things I am currently working on in my studio or other crafter's suggestions. Please do not hesitate to offer suggestions at anytime. 

Happy Organizing,

xoxox

Toni 

30 comments:

  1. I think how to actually use all the cards we make would be a great idea for a post. I refuse to let my pile of cards out grow my storage system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea. thanks so much Joyce. While organizing my cards I realized that I had more than I realized, but still some categories I have hardly any. I need to send out some cards this week!

      Delete
  2. whoa this is great! thanks for all the cool ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your organizing posts! I have 2 boxes similar to Jen's pictured above, but the tabs I made aren't the right size, lol! Off to her blog to get that fixed!
    P.S. I love that you show YOUR ideas and then link us up to other ideas as well. It's like one stop shopping, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much @pattyg. I am so glad you liked this post. Jen's blog at iheartorganizing is so awesome, just love it!

      Delete
  4. Love this! Now I just need to make some cards :)

    ReplyDelete