Monday, November 11, 2013

Layout Share: Chubs & Wheels

Happy Monday! Today I have a layout to share with you using a couple of mixed media techniques. I hope you like it and find this helpful.

Here is the design process for this layout:


  1. It started with a photo of my daughter's two new hamsters. She has been wanting them for almost a year and finally purchased them in October as a birthday present. It was time to finally make a page about them, and I finally got a decent photo without them moving all over the place. Robo Dwarf Hamsters are seriously fast! The photo was printed at home using Photoshop Elements for editing and an older Epson standard-sized printer. Photo was printed to be 3 by 4 inches.
  2. I then decided on a color scheme that would go with my picture. Since the picture is fairly neutral, I based it on the gorgeous sheet of ampersand paper designed by the incredible Shanna Noel for Studio Calico. It is one of my most favorite papers ever! The paper is white with tan, pink, and orange accents. I picked all of my supplies in colors that would compliment this paper.
  3. I started with a plain piece of American Crafts white cardstock and trimmed it down to 8.5 inches by 11 inches.
  4. I then trimmed a piece of the ampersand paper down to 3 inches by 11 inches and adhered it to the right side of the page using adhesive.
  5. I paired these two background papers with a piece of white floral paper designed by Studio Calico, a piece of pink paper from the American Crafts Everyday 6 x 6 inch paper pad sold at Target, and I also used a piece of black cardstock from my stash. All three of these papers were trimmed down to approximately 3 inches by 4 inches. 
  6. I placed the above 3 layering paper behind my photo. When adding layers to a scrapbook page, I move the elements around a bit until I find an arrangement that I like. It is best to start with smaller angles and just slowly moved them around until you like what you see. I then stapled the three pattern papers together onto the white card stock. The photo was then affixed on top of the layered papers using pop dots. Using staples instead of glue for attaching my layers really saves glue and holds the papers together nicely I have found. I got this tip from the incredibly talented Lilith Eeckles and I just love using my stapler now!
  7. I then added mist to my layout, but I first used a small scrap piece of paper to cover my picture (I didn't want any mist on my photo.) I used Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Black Velevet for this layout and just used the mist applicator that comes in the bottle. I do not spray the mist however, but shake tiny drops of black ink onto the layout going from the top left corner to the bottom right corner in a diagonal line. I also add a few random drops to the middle because it looked plain.
  8. Next I took out my Two Peas wood veneer card and stained it using Tim Holtz distress ink in walnut stain. I let it dry for a few minutes, and then got impatient, and dried it with my embossing gun. I then adhered this veneer piece to the layout using glue dots.
  9. I added the Simple Stories letter stickers on top of the veneer card. 
  10. I pulled together my embellishments next, some labels and printables purchased at Studio Calico during the month of October (the black labels designed by Hello Forever and the circle and heart printable.) I also pulled out the Pebbles chalkboard words. 
  11. I filled in my journaling onto the labels and began putting the labels, printables, and stickers down. I just shuffle and tuck them around here and there until I like the arrangement, and then I glue everything down.
  12. Next I added a Two Peas in a Bucket orange arrow paper clip to the photo. I thought that corner needed a little pop, and it also helps to draw your eye to the photo with such a busy paper behind it. When it doubt use an arrow, I do this often, and it usually works.
  13. The last step for me is always finishing touches. I decided the layout needed a little something else, so I used the gold star rub-ons from the Studio Calico printshop collection. I just sprinkled them about until I had an arrangement that I liked. I stop a lot and look at the layout, add a star or two, look some more, stop, decide it's done, and then I walk away.
I hope this step-by-step layout instructions are easy to understand. I wish I had thought to take photos during the process, but I am hoping this will still be helpful for those of you interested in dabbling in a little mixed media




Thank you for stopping by today, I appreciate you being here. I will be back tomorrow with some Project Life pages. What kinds of things are you scrapbooking lately? Anyone else adding any new pets to the mix? What about mixed media? Are you trying any new techniques that you love? I would love to hear about it. Until next time...

Happy Scrappin'

xoxox

Toni

1 comment: