Thursday, February 6, 2014

Crafty Organization Thursdays: Storing Mists

I have missed writing about organization. I love organization and especially organizing crafty supplies. To me that is a really great time! It is really exciting to try to come up with solutions to solve crafter's storage problems, and I personally love a great organization post. This is why I take the time to write these posts, to hopefully help a fellow crafter make sense of their space. I hope you like reading this and would love suggestions for future topics or links to great storage or organizational ideas. I love a great organizational read as well, so please do not hesitate to link me to some great finds in the comments below. This can include your crafty space, and you just might be featured in a future Crafty Organization Thursdays post!

Today's organization topic was from a question posted directly to the Studio Calico message board. asking fellow crafters how they store their mists in their spaces. Now that there are so many different varieties of spray mists, what is the best way to store them?

I love that there are so many different ways that other crafters are storing their mists. I love the creativity and often ingenious ideas that you smart peeps come up with. I am always so inspired after seeing these great organizational ideas. Here are a few I am hi-lighting this month

Spinning Storage Options:

I found THIS image on Pinterest showcasing how Kinsey Wilson's is using her awesome Harbor Freight 12" Revolving Four Tray Bin to store mists. I love that she is able to get all of her mists on the top of this storage piece, plus she has room for all other kinds of crafty supplies as well. I also adore that this Revolving Tray Bin is very economically priced, and can easily be altered with paint or washi tape to match your decor. It also looks great in the original black metal finish as Kinsey has done. You can check out your local Harbor Freight to see if they have one, or you can order it online directly HERE. Another great thing about this particular piece is that it takes up very little counter space and is only 12" round, but offers up four shelves of storage!


My good friend and fellow blogger, Danielle Higginbottom-Brown from piperloo.blogspot.com uses a Lazy Susan (turn table) to store her mists. She loves that this allows her to reach all of them easily. Well, to be truthful, she use to store her mists this way until her collection grew…but she really enjoyed using this storage method while it lasted.


Mist Caddy:

THIS storage idea was pinned from an image I found at Scrapbook.com by Created4you. This Caddy is perfect for storing paint, but the creator found that it also worked perfectly for storing mists. I could not find a link for where to purchase this particular item, but I still think it is a great example of using a pre-existing product that was made for one purpose, and using it for something else entirely. It also reminds me of spice racks, and I have seen many crafters effectively using spice racks to store creative supplies.


Storage Shelves:

This is how Danielle is storing her fabulous mist collection now. The girl loves her some mist doesn't she? I love looking at her collection, pure eye candy. She recently moved into a new scrap space and her handy hubby hung these three crown molding shelves for her. She loves that she can easily get to them while she scraps at her desk below.


This next image was found on Pinterest and from the blog Creations with Christina. I love that this crafter found a way to make great use of wall space in a corner desk set-up.


Wall Units/ Storage Cubbies:

The next two images are from my studio. I found this storage shelf a few years ago at Michael's craft store. I purchased it with a 40% off coupon and a gift card and I believe it was right around $60 for the shelf. It has been a really great investment for me and I love that it is a very flexible storage piece. I am currently using this for mist storage, as well as embossing powder, and buttons. I think I will be moving sequins to the bottom shelf soon however and buttons to another location.


In the image below you will find a close-up of the mist area on the shelving unit. The shelf that stores the mist is actually only one shelf, but I had my handy hubby help me better utilize this shelf. I did not have anything to store that was 10 inches tall and had a lot of wasted space about the single row of mists. I had him cut a piece of scrap MDF for me to 3.5 inches tall and the width of the shelving unit. This piece of scrap wood is only 1 inch wide, but it is wide enough to store mists on! I then painted it white and lined it up on the back…I now have storage for two rows of mists in one storage space! If you look really closely you can see my little shelf sticking out behind the first row of mists. He is making me another shelf this weekend that will be 1.75 inches tall, which will enable me to have three shelves (at various heights) in the space intended for one shelf! This is a good reminder to remember to alter pre-existing storage pieces if they are not working of you.


Unfortunately, after several attempts, I cannot find a link to this exact storage piece, but if you go to your local Michael's I still see very similar shelves every time I stop by. I also found this smaller desktop storage piece on their website HERE.

Thank you so much for stopping by today, I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post. I appreciate you being here and taking time out of your day to read my posts. I love my blog readers and I can honestly say that you make me smile each and everyday reading your lovely comments.

Let's talk crafty organization today and mist storage. How are you storing your mists and paints that you use for crafty projects? What is working for you and what is not? Is there one storage method featured about that would be useful for you? Have you seen any other great mist storage or other crafty storage methods that you want to share below? Let's chat…

xoxox

Toni

25 comments:

  1. Wow, lots of great ideas there! I don't have too many myself, so they're in a little tool caddy on my desk at the moment. I'm working on getting more tho. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to store mists Ange. I have also seen other's using really cute tool boxes.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Toni. I love how you are storing yours and you provided some other really beautiful ideas as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post!! I love organization too - you've got me thinking about a new way to organize my mist. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Pam. If you think of another topic I should cover please let me know.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Toni, as I love organization too! I don't know if I'm happy or sad that I can't fill up any of those though... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise, LOL. I think as long as you use what you have, you are good to go.

      Delete
  5. Love your shelf, Toni, and the links to the others as well. I am trying to downsize, lol, as we will be replacing ALL the carpeting upstairs which means all my scrappy stuff will have to be moved. I'm just a little scared, lol! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great storage ideas and I adore your set up!

    ReplyDelete